What is project canary?
The Project Canary solution is a continuous environmental monitoring system that monitors emissions of methane and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and detects fugitive emissions in near real-time at the wellsite.
- Remote Monitoring. Login to the Project Canary Dashboard from your mobile device, smart phone or desktop computer and monitor emissions levels at individual wellsites anywhere, anytime.
- Alerts. Receive real-time alerts of fugitive emissions directly on your mobile device, smart phone or computer via text or email.
- Self-Diagnostics. Every few minutes, 24 hours a day, each unit wakes up, takes a series of readings, and reports to the Canary Cloud. The Canary Cloud is smart. It knows the difference between normal well site operations and a significant leak. When something unusual happens, the Cloud notifies personnel via Text and Email to enable prompt and efficient incident response.
- A Real Birdhouse. In addition to being a highly sophisticated, solar powered, wireless emissions monitor, bird houses provide habitat for bluebirds!
- Auto Locate. Each unit is equipped with GPS. When a unit first starts reporting, it sends its location to the Canary Cloud. Auto-Locate makes field deployments incredibly simple. Bang a stake in the ground and let the Sun shine – Project Canary is a zero-maintenance solution.
- Reliable and Redundant. We use sophisticated machine learning algorithms to train the flock and ensure events are real and actionable.
- Self-Calibrating. Tiny metal oxide sensors are engineered to be reliable and stable, providing dependable Methane and VOC readings for years without being fooled by temperature and humidity changes.
- Efficient Power Use. Units are optimized for extreme environments. The custom engineered solar cell can harvest enough energy to keep it chirping through a string of cloudy, snowy days by charging our onboard, high-technology, high-capacity batteries.
- Sensitive. There’s never been a gas leak solution like Project Canary before. Flocks detect concentrations of well-head gas from 0-65 ppm…. yes, that’s Parts Per Million. That’s important because Canary roosts at the fenceline where emission levels can be low concentration events by the time gases reach the fence.
- Stop Leaks Faster. The Project Canary solution helps operators optimize their Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) teams by routing crews to locations that are experiencing leaks in real-time.
- Take Responsible Development to a Higher Level. The Project Canary solution gives operators an unbiased source of environmental data that may serve as credible evidence and defense against leak claims as well as providing independent, verifiable data for self-certification programs.
- No Downtime. Deployment and operation of the Project Canary solution requires no downtime., With no moving parts or scheduled maintenance, production operations proceed uninterrupted during installation and use.
- Better Relations. The Project Canary solution delivers clear and reliable environmental data for communicating ESG initiatives to the institutional investment community and other stakeholders.
- Improved Safety Profile. Detecting and fixing leaks faster improves wellsite safety, and the Project Canary solution provides EHS the information needed for reporting actual metrics, not guesstimates.
Methane (CH4) is an exceptionally clean source of energy for our planet. Project Canary will help natural gas producers realize the potential and responsibly develop this important resource for our nation.