Certified low methane or responsibly sourced gas (“RSG”) for use in LNG exports serves as a critical component to global energy transition and positions U.S. LNG as an attractive alternative to coal and high methane gas.
Why are foreign markets looking for Certified RSG to be used for LNG?
- A trilemma energy crisis has emerged–access, reliability, climate.
- Geopolitical issues have European countries reconsidering their gas sources.
- Certified Low methane natural gas serve as as an effective replacement strategy or bridge to future low carbon solutions.
- Certified low methane gas has significantly lower impacts on GHG compared to coal.
- Other Environmental Attributes, such as water usage, can also be factored into the decision to use RSG from LNG exports.
What is RSG?
Responsibly-Sourced Gas (RSG) is natural gas that has undergone independent third party certification that the gas has been produced under specified best practices for methane mitigation (e.g., certified low methane gas) as well as other best practices around minimizing other environmental and community impacts.
At Project Canary®, we have spent the last four years working to provide US oil and gas companies with the emissions data innovation they need to reduce their emissions and push the environmental performance bar higher. We are proud of the accuracy and granularity of the data we can provide companies with from our continuous monitoring technology that feeds a real-time software as a service (SaaS) dashboard that tracks and models emission profiles at the facility level. In fact, our sensor array can detect methane down to <0.1 grams per second. This level of reliability is a game-changer for molecule tracking and has been a catalyst for the emergence of certified responsibly sourced gas, helping US gas companies ensure their operations comply with ESG targets and commitments for both internal and external stakeholders.
Per scientific studies, the best available measured or actual emissions data (not estimated emission factors) indicated that industry average methane emissions intensities (e.g. leaks) in the US may be over 2% of the volume produced and significantly higher in specific gas production basins or for various operators. As methane is 84x worse, reducing these emissions by 80%+ would have an immediate and significant reduction on GHGs and GWP. Certified Gas or RSG accomplishes this by setting the criteria that the actual measured methane intensity of the gas purchased is below 0.20% as verified by independent 3rd parties. Certified gas also scores water usage and other impacts.
How Project Canary Verified Environmental Attributes for RSG can be used in LNG exports
Project Canary developed the most robust and reliable third-party assessment and scoring to verify that natural gas producers are utilizing the highest standards and practices in all phases of their operations. Our program is credible and transparent because we’ve spent over five years building, testing, and refining it and rely on academia, energy experts, B-Corp scoring, and the highest ESG standards as our true north. We’re third-party verified too.
The Project Canary certification program includes
- Project Canary performs rigorous (600+ factors) environmental and operational assessments at the facility-level.
- Project Canary installs state-of-the-art high fidelity continuous emissions sensors at each pad or facility.
- Project Canary issues a facility-level certificate and score along with a facility-level methane intensity measure.
- Project Canary does not make money trading RSG or benefit from higher volumes of RSG. We are a B-Corp who receives a monthly fee for the services and solutions we provide, much like an audit firm.
Leverage continuous insights with a minute-by-minute view of emissions and their sources.
Project Canary’s continuous emissions monitoring devices can accurately predict total site emissions and validate the sustainable credentials of responsibly sourced gas. By developing a digital canopy of cutting-edge IoT devices in Oil & Gas basins across the U.S. that report to a SaaS dashboard every 60 seconds, we provide companies with the real-time data they need to push the bar higher on certified RSG.